Labels

Monday, March 5, 2007

Quick notes: 2nd Post for Week 8

Here is the second post for Week 8.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on my new site!

technical difficulties resolved ... more info on Blackboard Portfolios can be found at:
http://www.blackboard.com/products/portfolio/demos.htm


Note on "rote learning" and Friedman -

I see that Friedman's observations on the subject fall in Chapter 8. This fell outside of the reading assignment, so I haven't got to it yet, but I think I see your point. He definitely says
creativity can be learned.

However, I think the nature of the Chinese writing system implies a certain amount of rote learning that isn't necessary for an Alphabet writing system.

To my evil editing, drum-smashing friend who writes:
"I didn't know that Alex Haley could trace his lineage back to
West Africa as could ancient Icelanders. Those Vikings got
around. Edit carefully."
yes ... I will be more careful in the future.

And thanks for the pointer to the JFK quote on Reference.com.

It fits nicely in with the themes of our new book Earth Odyssey.

"In an address before the General Assembly of the United Nations on September 25, 1961, President John F. Kennedy said, in part, 'Today, every inhabitant of this planet must contemplate the day when this planet may no longer be habitable. Every man, woman and child lives under a nuclear sword of Damocles, hanging by the slenderest of threads, capable of being cut at any moment by accident, or miscalculation, or by madness. The weapons of war must be abolished before they abolish us.' "

No comments: