Labels

Monday, February 12, 2007

Technology and the Decline of the English Language: Feb. 8, 2007

Technology and the Decline of the English Language: February 08, 2007
"Isn't this sad? People who have been taught nothing about their own language are (contrary to educational expectations) spending all their leisure hours attempting to string sentences together for the edification of others. And there is no editing on the internet!"
Lynne Truss
Eats, Shoots & Leaves
(page 17)

This was the rant of Lynne Truss was about the numerous incidents of bad grammar that have simultaneously occurred along with the explosion of writing now available on internet.

No doubt she would also have had a field day with my recent post on Steve Jobs' speech where several times, I refer to his achievements with Job's. Then there is the infamous post on the group blog where I misspell guarantee while trying to sound like an intellectual.

In this technology age, where "everyone's a writer!" there is a definite down side, which is the spread of bad grammar and bad spelling. Now I am definitely not a grammar stickler but I think she has a point. While it is exciting that more people are indeed writing for fun, it is also disheartening that the quality controls are not there.

I've noticed that some systems DO have a spell check that can be used before posting, which would help correct the spelling errors, but I have also noticed that they are "optional". Being lazy, I can't even count on myself to take the extra step.

Since we are an on-line English class, we need to try to set a good example. However, isn't that the whole problem? If we knew it was wrong, we probably would correct it. Right?

Perhaps the internet DOES need a good editor?

Will the internet eventually erode the standards of good English if things continue as they are now?

Is punctuation important?

She gives this popular example on page 9 of her book.

A woman, without her man, is nothing.
A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Finally, I am left to wonder how DOES one do MLA citations in a blog? Am I committing yet another faux pas? Where is that editor when I need him? Or her? or ... it?

1 comment:

Cheryl Sundheim said...

The professor that taught a class in linguistics I took sure had plenty to say about this topic. It is true that our language is always evolving, new words are introduced, pronunciation changes, even the adverb is being threatened :0) . I personally like all the grammar and punctuation rules but not everybody agrees they are so important. Your sentence example demonstrates the most critical issue - is the intended meaning being conveyed.